Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's Iris Time...




October and November can't come quickly enough for me each year because I wait with baited breath to see how many of my bearded irises will flower. These stunning flowers thrive on neglect and then produce the most amazing blooms. I've been adding to my collection for the past 10 years and sometimes have to wait up to 3 years to see some of my purchases come into flower. Its always worth the wait, though, and my camera works overtime recording each new flower as it emerges. The other great thing about these flowers is that they multiply, and can be divided every 2 to 3 years to create lots of new plants to spread to other parts of the garden. Next week at the Deloraine Craft Fair I get to add a few more different colours to my collection. Can't wait!!!
I've discovered over the years that I just can't resist all shades of purples, lavenders, etc. so this year I need to try to focus on other colours - maybe pinks and whites for a change.

1 comment:

VW said...

How fun that you have iris blooming right now - my garden is going to sleep. Except I noticed a dwarf peachy-pink iris blooming today! I guess it's a rebloomer. Crazy - our gardening season is too short for most reblooming iris.
I'm obsessed with the periwinkle iris of all shades.