Saturday, October 30, 2010

Off to the fair...



Each year on the November long weekend it has become a tradition for my sister, Carolyn, to fly in to Tassie for a couple of days so we can go to the craft fair together. Somehow, Sacha also manages to get the day off from work to join us and she adds to the fun and laughs! Now all of us have a variety of technology devices on hand it's become a challenge to capture some funny photos along the way. These photos usually involve food or, more to the point, the eating of it! There's always so much to see and do and friends to run into along the way. My purchases this year focused mainly on jewellery, although I saw lots of other things I really liked too! I managed to find the stand selling my favourite flowers (bearded irises) and made the girls wait while I chose some new colours to add to my collection!
The raspberry cheesecake is always a favourite and this year I had mine for morning tea in the vain hope that I might walk some of it off throughout the day! Sacha and "Aunty" Carol preferred the Brid River lamb sausages. One of the fun things about the fair is hopping on and off the buses to get to each of the venues and this year Sacha managed to capture a shot of us "two old loves" (as she calls us!!) getting off the bus. I always manage to get a payback photo along the way. By about 3 pm in the afternoon we're all exhausted from walking, shopping and eating and its nice to stop and rest before heading for home. There's nothing like a zingy ginger beer to rejuvenate body and mind before the drive back into town! Nothing more to do now than look forward to next year...















4 comments:

Nettie's Blog said...

good pics there Helen... i say i am going every year ...but there is always SOMETHING that stops me .... maybe that is a a good thing as i would spend money that i dont have or need for the house... love the look of that cheesecake...mmm perhaps it a good thing i didnt get there....

Unknown said...

Good day out by the looks of it. Must say I did miss going this year but have booked in for Mum to visit next year so we can go.

VW said...

Hi Helen,
Nice to meet you via blog! So is that first picture of bearded iris? What a beautiful blue mass! Now I'm going to go down and check out the iris post below.

VW said...

Hi Helen,
I answered your camera question on my blog, but I know I don't often see follow-up comments, so here's the answer here. I use a Canon Rebel XS, which is the lowest level dSLR. But I splurged on a nice lens, the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 US standard zoom. This lens gives me much more clarity and more vivid color than the kit lens that came with the camera. Unfortunately, in photography you really get what you pay for. Now I'm eyeing a 50mm f/1.2, but I won't shell out $1500 for it anytime soon! I've heard that the fixed lenses (the ones that don't zoom) give the sharpest pictures. I'd love to win a contest where I had to spend $10,000 on photography equipment. It would get spent fast!
But if you're on a more normal budget, I'd recommend getting Photoshop Elements, which is $80 here in the states. Also Scott Kelby's Photoshop Elements 8 book, which will teach you how to use it. That will make an amazing difference in your photos.